Okami

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Okami

Post by Shell on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Okami is an action-adventure game for the playstation 2 and wii. Okami combines several Japanese myths, legends and folklore to tell the story of how the land was saved from darkness by the Shinto sun goddess, named Amaterasu, who took the form of a white wolf. It features a distinct sumi-e-inspired cel-shaded visual style and the Celestial Brush, a gesture-system to perform miracles.

The game is set in Nippon based on Japanese classic history, and begins with a flashback to events 100 years prior to the game's present, and describes how Shiranui, a pure white wolf, and Nagi, a swordsman, together fought the eight-headed demon Orochi to save Kamiki Village and the maiden Nami, Nagi's beloved. Shiranui and Nagi are unable to defeat Orochi but manage to seal the demon away. In the game's present, Susano, a descendant of Nagi and self-proclaimed greatest warrior, breaks Orochi's seal due to the fact that he does not believe in the legend, and Orochi escapes and curses the lands, sapping the life from every living being. Sakuya, the wood sprite and guardian of Kamiki Village, calls forth Amaterasu, the sun goddess, known to the villagers as the reincarnation of the white wolf Shiranui, and pleads her to remove the curse that covers the land. Accompanied by the artist Issun (an inch-high Poncle), Amaterasu is able to restore the land to its former beauty. Throughout the journey, Amaterasu is hounded by Waka, a strange but powerful individual that seems to have the gift of foresight, and further teases Amaterasu and Issun to his own mysterious ends. Additionally, Amaterasu locates several Celestial Gods who have hidden in the constellations that bestow upon the goddess powers of the Celestial Brush to aid in her quest.

(I was lazy this time, all this and more is avalible to read on wikipedia)

Personal Review
I had really high hopes for this game after reading alot of glowing reviews for it. I was not disapointed. Okami is one of those games that proves that you should look behind the big game companies, and take a chance on an obscure game by a smaller developer. It's such a pity that Okami didn't sell well, and it's pretty hard to find in shops, so your best bet is ebay. It's well worth the effort it takes to find it though.

I was a little wary of the graphics at first, I sometimes find cel-shaded graphics a little boring. I was astounded from the start though, even the main menu is beautiful. The cut scenes you are treated to when Ammy restores an area from the darkness are absolutely stunning. The storyline is engaging, it gets a bit heavy towards the end of the game, but there's lot of humour in it too. The idea of having a main character who doesn't ever speak in a modern video game would normally be considered a bit of a let down, but Ammy's relationship with Issun means that you're never left wondering what's going on. The Celestial brush techniques are a master stroke too. They give you a new prespective on solving puzzles, although some of them are a little fiddly.

Pros
~ The restoration cut scenes. Although they are essentially the same, you'll want to watch all of them.
~ The humour shared between Amaterasu and Issun. It keeps the game enjoyable, even in it's saddest moments.
~ The Celestial brushes are a fantastic idea, and most of the are well executed.

Cons:
~ The voices. It may have been cheaper to use computer generated babble than to pay voice actors, but the sounds really does grate on you after a while.
~ The Celestial Brushes. I bet you're thinking "Whut?! She just said she loved them?" I do love them, but some of the commands are too similar, and when you're on a time limit it's easy and very frustrating to mess up. A good example of this is when you're trying to bloom Mr. Orange's trees in Kamiki village, it took me nearly 3 hours to get past that one point on my first play through, and even on my second try, I still found it very difficult. (fyi, after the first hour of trying, I had gotton to the point of "I WILL beat this, then I'll dance on it's motherfecking grave!"
~ At a push, it's a little bit too easy.

I'm going to give Okami:
sunny sunny sunny sunny
Buy it, buy it now!
Shell

View user profile http:////sexysnoo.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Okami

Post by Plunkie on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:40 pm

I have yet to try this game.
I know there's one for DS.
I need to check it out.

---------

Ryoga: Saotome! I will never forgive you! you stole my bread! You lousy theif!
Plunkie
Admin

View user profile http://greenday.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:42 pm

It's awesome. I don't know what it's like on the DS, although I'd imagine it'd make the Celestial Brush thing easier.
Shell

View user profile http:////sexysnoo.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunkie on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 pm

We can hope lol

---------

Ryoga: Saotome! I will never forgive you! you stole my bread! You lousy theif!
Plunkie
Admin

View user profile http://greenday.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum